Thursday, June 20, 2013

Iridescent: Chapter Twenty-One



Iridescent
Chapter Twenty-One
~Private Meetings~
After the Fall

Chaud knocked on the side of the mobile home door. He waited. Inside he could hear male voices talking. While he waited for a response Chaud looked again around the camp. Dr. Jekyll sat in the back of the ambulance. He looked through boxes seemingly taking an inventory. Puppetmaster sat among the children as they climbed and ran around him. Shadow sat on top of the jeep talking to two people who had a disagreement and was trying to sort it out. Tempi slept on one of the four wheelers, her rectangular container sat beside the vehicle. Vicky helped around where ever she could while Amber could be seen in the bus window looking out.
The door opened and Chaud walked in. A wave of heat stuck him as he walked in. He looked in and saw familiar faces. Crow’s blind eyes turned toward Chaud as he entered. His companion, Crane, smiled and waved at Chaud as he sat across from him on a tattered looking couch.
“Ah Chaud, good to see you’re up and about. We were just talking about you,” Fang stated. He was restocking the pantry with canned food in the hallway.
“Is that so?” Chaud asked.
Fang looked at him, “What are your plans? Will you be moving on soon?”
“Jekyll said that I should take it easy for a while,” Chaud said, “Will that be a problem?”
Crow spoke up, “I heard you were getting chased by people. Do you know why their chasing you?”
Chaud sighed, “They want to catch me and my sister in order to pull my parents out of hiding.”
“Well, that isn’t good,” Crane stated.
“I doubt that those hunters will stop chasing you,” Fang stated, “meaning that they won’t care if you’re protected by our caravan.”
“I’ll leave if you want and draw their attention away,” Chaud said, “All I’d ask is that Vicky and Amber stay here.”
Fang looked at Chaud, “You aren’t going anywhere. You’re staying here.”
“But—”
“That’s nonnegotiable,” Fang stopped Chaud before he could say anything, “You’re in no condition to take on that group of people by yourself. You haven’t forgotten that you’ve almost died have you?”
“I’d manage,” Chaud said.
Crane looked at Chaud, “Even if we were to let you go, I don’t think your sister would stay put. I’d even go as far as to say that Vicky might even take her to look for you. It would be safer for you all to stay here where it’s safer.”
Chaud considered the statement. He knew his sister wouldn’t just sit back and hope he would be okay. Chaud sighed.
“Where were you headed?” Fang asked, “We could take you there. At this point we’re just wandering looking for supplies and survivors.”
Chaud thought a moment before answering, “I’m getting my sister off the Island.”
Crow smiled, “And how do you plan to do that?”
“I’m a Galaxy,” Chaud shrugged, “I tend to know things that most people don’t.”

<<<>>>

Dante looked through a pair of binoculars. He watched the camp from a distance. Dante watched as Chaud and a few others left the sweltering heat of the mobile home to the less oppressive desert sun. At least there was wind outside. Dante sighed and as he sat in the sun. He looked over his shoulder at his team behind him all tending to their wounds.
Ai walked up to where her brother lay on his stomach. She stood beside him on the bluff looking down on the camp.
Dante looked up at her, “Get down! Do you want them to see you?”
“I don’t care if they see me,” she said with an unfeeling voice.
Dante looked at his sister. He knew when she was disappointed and frustrated. In their history of crime together, this had been the most unfruitful job that they had been on. Dante and Ai had been in the business of shady business since Ai was able to hold a gun. He had found her in a bad neighborhood while he was shipping guns for a few extra bucks. It was raining and she was curled underneath a cardboard box. Feeling sorry for her, Dante let her into the car. He taught her everything he knew. For several years it had been just him and Ai against the world. Eventually, with Ai’s permission, he allowed the others into their group.
“Come here,” Dante turned his body and sat in the sand.
Ai sat down beside Dante. She didn’t move but stared blankly ahead. Dante wrapped an arm around her shoulders.
“This is our last one,” Dante said
Ai looked up at him, “What are you talking about?”
Dante smiled, “I haven’t been fair to you.”
“I don’t understand,” Ai stated.
Dante pulled her close, “This is our last job. I haven’t been fair to you. You’re just a girl Ai and you should be able to live like one before you grow up to fast. I’ve almost gotten you killed several times on this job. I don’t want all for you to know is how to shoot a gun. I’d like you to have friends. Maybe I could even buy a house and get you a puppy.”
Ai looked at him, “What are you saying? Did I do something wrong?”
“No!” Dante stated, “You didn’t do anything wrong. Maybe I did, I don’t know. What I’m saying is that maybe you and I should retire, pack out money bags and ride off into the sunset.”
“If you’re worried about me, you don’t have to be,” Ai said, “I can take care of myself.”
“That’s the thing,” Dante sighed, “It’s my job as your brother to worry about you and it’s my job to make sure you don’t grow up to fast.”
Ai was quiet for a while. Dante could almost see her thoughts pass behind her eyes. She looked away from him and out at the others.
“You’re so stupid,” Ai stated.
Dante laughed, “Wow, that was harsh.”
“I like doing this kind of thing because you like doing it,” Ai said, “I don’t care what you think we should do but you and I both know you won’t be happy just sitting down in a house in a suburban neighborhood. And I won’t be happy going to a regular school. Besides, the others need us. You’re the king and I’m the princes. Without us they’d be wandering aimlessly. They’d be lost.”
Dante remained quiet.
Ai stood up, “Do what you want because I’d follow you off a cliff no matter what. But start thinking with your head more often. Just because that girl likes her sheltered life doesn’t mean I will too.”
She walked down the dune and left Dante to think. He shook his head. He had forgotten how much more of an adult she was. He’d just have to keep her safe even if it cost him everything. She was right. He was more than a complete idiot.

<<<>>>

“Pack up!” Fang yelled, “We’re headed out!”
Shadow jumped down from his perch and walked up to Fang. He looked briefly at Chaud and smiled, “Where are we off to?”
“East,” Fang stated as he walked to the driver’s side of the jeep.
“We need supplies,” Shadow gently reminded.
Fang looked at Shadow, “I know. We’ll pick some up on the way.”
Shadow shrugged and climbed into the heavy jeep. Chaud walked over to the school bus as Puppetmaster was corralling the children inside. The mothers were calling their children while the men were packing up camp. Tempi drove the four-wheelers into the animal transport truck for storage. When she was done she walked passed him and into the bus. Dr. Jekyll closed up the back of the ambulance. He glanced at Chaud a moment before walking away. Single men that didn’t have a family were allowed to stay in the mobile home with Crow and Crane. Chaud looked around for his sister.
“Chaud!” Amber called as she ran toward him. Amber grabbed her brothers hand and guided him toward the bus, “Come on! We’re going now!”
Chaud smiled and allowed himself to be pulled along, “I’m coming, I’m coming.”
“Vicky and Wini are waiting!” Amber climbed onto the bus.
“Wini?” Chaud was unaware about a Wini.
Amber walked to the back of the bus, “The wolf. I named her Wini.”
Chaud’s shoulders fell as he sighed, “Wonderful.” When the time came to part ways with the wolf, he could just see the tears flowing down Amber’s face. Why did she have to go and name it?
He walked past the seats full of children and their mothers and fathers. The older children sat in the back of the bus. Blankets and pillows lay around to create a sleeping area for them. Vicky sat on the floor in the back of the bus with Wini sitting near her. Amber sat near the wolf and Chaud sat next to Vicky.
Puppetmaster kept the children occupied by playing games with them. Shuppet entertained the children as well. They were all mystified about how the little doll was able to walk around and move on its own accord. Tempi climbed onto the bus and sat in the driver seat. The engine rumbled to life and joined the chorus with the other engines.
It took only a few minutes for the caravan to get moving. Chaud was able to relax a bit. Knowing that his sister was in a safer environment was a big relief and a burden off his shoulders.
“Where are we going?” Vicky asked.
Chaud glanced over at her, “We’re headed east toward the oasis. Then we’ll get off the Island.”
“How many days will it take?” Vicky looked at Amber, “I’m sure you’ve figured that out by now.”
Chaud smiled, “Should take about three to four days.”
“Great,” Vicky nodded, “Now you can relax a bit and get some food in your stomach. I noticed you skipped meals when we were traveling.”
“What can I say?” Chaud shrugged, “I can go longer without food than Amber can.”
“Well,” Vicky smiled, “Now you can catch up on sleep and eat some food.”
“I guess you’re right,” Chaud closed his eyes, “I think I’ll do just that.”

No comments:

Post a Comment