Sunday, June 2, 2013

Iridescent: Chapter Fifteen

Iridescent
Chapter Fifteen
~Every Day’s a Saturday~
After the Fall

When Deontay led Zara and Miwa to the village where he was staying they received a huge welcome. The children of the village ran out to meet with the friendly visitor. Deontay, being a friendly fellow, ran up to them and picked them up. One of the children gave him two vials that they had found a few miles from the village. He thanked them with the little of their language that he knew and rubbed the child playfully on the head.
He led his friends into the village. Deontay led them to a makeshift home that looked to have been built in the last few days. He let them in and made sure that they were comfortable.
“Well, welcome to my humble abode!” Deontay spread his arms out, “It isn’t much but I like it. Keeps things simple and your priorities straight, you know?”
Miwa found a corner that he seemed to like and dropped down, “I like it!”
“You’ve been living here a while?” Zara asked.
“Yeah,” Deontay nodded, “I didn’t see any reason to leave and the kids kind of grow on ya. They are a bunch of great kids. Don’t know what they’re saying most of the time though… Anyway, make yourself at home.”
“It will be nice to sleep under a roof for a change,” Zara looked around.
“Yeah,” Deontay nodded, “Sleeping in the plains isn’t exactly the most comfortable.”
Zara smiled, “Yeah, you can say that again.”
“I’m sure I have some canned food somewhere,” Deontay looked through a bag of his, “What is your position on canned peaches?”
“Haven’t had any in months,” Zara sighed, “I’d love some.”
“Good,” Deontay laughed, “The kids in the village love the stuff.”
Miwa looked over, “Where do you get your supply of food?”
Deontay pointed around in a vague circle, “Around. You’d actually be amazed how many people drop everything when they see a sawed off shot gun.”
“You robbed people?” Miwa asked.
Deontay looked appalled, “No! I tried to give their things back but they just kept running!” He looked at Zara, “I didn’t realize I was that scary of a guy.”
Zara shrugged, “I guess when you’re carrying a sawed off shot gun it’s understandable.”
“Hmm,” Deontay nodded thoughtfully, “Well, we should get to bed. We have a long day tomorrow.”
“You can say that again,” Zara sighed.


The next day Deontay said goodbye to the village children. They were sad to see him go and so were the rest of the villagers. He left each family a can of fruit. Deontay promised that he would visit when things died down on the Island. Zara was unsure if they understood all of what he said but they seemed to get the just of it. The younger children cried at Deontay’s departure. After saying his last farewells, Deontay led Zara and Miwa out of the village.
“So what is our travel plan?” Deontay asked when they were some ways away from the village.
“We head through the desert to where we can get off the Island!” Miwa answered.
“Yeah,” Deontay said, “I got that but how are we going to travel through the desert? I mean you weren’t thinking of walking were you? That’s suicide. You know that, right Zara?”
“We have water,” Zara said.
“Yeah, but not travel-all-the-way-through-the-desert-on-foot kind of water! We’ll be dried prunes before the week is out!” Deontay thought a moment, “Wait, what day is it? I’ve lost track.”
Zara shrugged, “Feels like a Saturday.”
“Actually it’s—” Miwa tried to answer.
“No one asked you,” Zara glared at him.
Deontay nodded, “I’ve always liked Saturdays. Let’s say it’s Saturday.”
Miwa looked up at his two travelers, “But it’s—”
“In that case, we’ll be dried prunes before the end of next week! Do you want to be a dried prune? I don’t!” Deontay exclaimed.
“We’ll make it,” Zara smiled at her team mate, “Besides, I can’t die now. I’ve got someone’s butt to kick when I get the chance.”
Deontay nodded, “I mean that’s pretty good motivation.”
“Yeah,” Zara nodded, “So I can’t die until I cross the desert and get to where Miwa says we’ll find a way off the Island, cross the ocean, get to the mainland and kick Scar’s butt. Then I can die happy. But I won’t.”
“You won’t die happy?” Miwa asked, “But you just said…”
“No, what I was saying is that I won’t die,” Zara smiled, “I plan to live my life as an independent woman as an Agent. Maybe I’ll get a pet along the way somewhere but that’s just about it.”
“You won’t settle down? Maybe find yourself someone you can spend the rest of your life with?” Deontay questioned.
“Nope,” Zara looked at Deontay, “There is no man in ‘independent woman’.”
“Actually…” Miwa started.
“Be careful of the next few words you say, Robo-dog,” Zara glared at Miwa, “You tread on very thin ice.”
“Never mind,” Miwa muttered.
“Right,” Deontay nodded, “Not even—nah, never mind.”
Zara looked at him, “Not even what?”
“No, it’s nothing,” Deontay shrugged it off, “Well, what if this guy really likes you and he’s just too shy to say anything.”
“Deontay,” Zara said quietly, “do you have something you would like to say?”
“Hmm?” at first Deontay didn’t understand, “Oh! No! It isn’t me! I was talking about someone else!”
“Uh huh, sure,” Zara looked unconvinced.
“No really!” Deontay stressed.
“I’m going to jog ahead,” Zara said, “Please take your time following me.”
Zara jogged off and Deontay tried to call after her but to no avail. She jogged ahead until she created quite a distance between them. Zara remained within view but didn’t turn around to make sure the others were keeping up. Miwa continued to walk alongside Deontay. There was a long silence between the two after Zara left. Deontay sighed before breaking the silence.
“I swear I was talking about someone else,” he said.
Miwa nodded, “Yeah, I believe you.”
“Do you really?” Deontay asked.
“Yeah, I do,” Miwa answered, “Now the trick is to get Zara to believe you.”
Deontay groaned, “Chaud owes me big time.”
“That he does, my friend,” Miwa sighed, “That he does.”

No comments:

Post a Comment