Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Radioactive: Chapter Seventeen



Radioactive
Chapter Seventeen
~Rechecking the Data~

“Jumper! What on earth did you do!?” the doctor yelled at the black skinned man.
Jumper sighed, “For the sixth time, I brought out one of your pets for a walk and she got away from me. All I wanted to do was help you out, otherwise how are you going to walk all of them? I tried to chase her down but those people I told you about killed before I could get to her.” Jumper shrugged, “It wasn’t my fault.”
“Jumper—!”
Jumper flipped out his phone, “Oh and here’s all the evidence and proof that they aren’t like any ordinary people.”
He tossed the phone over to the doctor. The doctor muttered underneath his breath as he looked over the phone and its contents. He was quiet as he looked through the information. After a few moments he looked up at Jumper.
“Shall, I assume you found this information after you saw my pet was killed,” the doctor stated.”
Jumper feigned offence, “Of course! I wouldn’t have left her to die on her own. Who do you take me for?”
“Umh,” the doctor muttered. He didn’t believe a word that came out of Jumper’s mouth for good reason. The doctor nodded as he read over the information one last time.
“What do you want to do now?” Jumper asked; a small smile crept across his face.
The doctor looked up, “Well, it does look like that they will be a bit of trouble. We can have them destroying my experiments.”
“I say that we attack them with those pets of yours,” Jumper suggested, “They can’t fight off all of them at once.”
“That is out of the question,” the doctor said, “I will not destroy my creations.”
“Then how do you propose we get rid of them?” Jumper crossed his arms, “And besides, you can always make more once their killed right? What do you have to lose?”
The doctor was quiet for a moment, thinking on his options. He hated seeing his modified creatures die. It saddened him like a father is broken over his child’s death or like a god’s anguish when his creations desert him. As much as he wanted to keep them he knew that if he didn’t do something about the agents that were sent that they would take them away and do who knew what to them. The doctor gave a long sigh and shook his head.
“Fine,” he said, “We’ll have to attack first.”
Jumper’s smile widened, “Shall I start with the preparations?”
The doctor nodded slowly, “Do what needs to be done.” He reached into his pocket and pulled out a pad of paper, “These numbers are the ones that you cannot use on this mission. They are my favorites. We might need them later.”
Jumper grabbed the piece of paper and looked it over, “This is it? What are you going to do?”
“What am I going to do?” the doctor looked at him, “I have to delete all of my files. We don’t want those Agents getting ahold of my research just in case they make it here.”
“Dang,” Jumper looked at the doctor, “You worked really hard on that research and you’re going to just delete it all?”
“On these servers, yes,” the doctor smiled, “but there are several copies of the information elsewhere. It is none of your concern. I will deal with that end of things.”
“What about the experiments that are still in progress and haven’t finished yet?” Jumper asked.
“I will deal with that to I guess,” the doctor said, “I should be the one to put them out of their misery. The Agents wouldn’t put them through more pain than I would if they got their hands on them.”
Jumper shrugged, “Do whatever you need to. I’ve got my own list of things to do.”
He vanished leaving the doctor alone with his thoughts. The doctor sat down into a chair and propped his chin on his folded hands. He sighed.

~§~

“You aren’t half bad around a carburetor,” Grayson said as he stood back and lit a cigarette. He leaned against a wall behind Fang as he worked on the engine.
“Fixed a few of these when I was younger,” Fang stated.
Ing sat on a chair next to Fang. He looked eagerly at what Fang was doing. Occasionally he asked questions and pointed at different parts of the engine and constantly wondered what each part did. Fang, with growing impatience, answered each question. Next to them, Duke was teaching Riu how to change a car battery. She was giving him a hard time, probably because she was still annoyed about losing her apartment. Kaiba sat at a desk computer working on the accounting while Kiri tried her hand at changing her first tire. Though she wasn’t initially made for this type of work, she managed it easily. Jekyll handed her the things she needed. He didn’t seem at all interested but did what little he could to help out. Grayson looked over his workers. He sent his usual employees home for some well needed rest.
“At least you’re all getting some adequate work done,” Grayson yawned and headed upstairs toward the catwalk, “I’m sure you all have top secret things to talk about so I think I’ll go take a nap.”
“Night!” Ing waved up at the older man.
Grayson waved a dismissive hand. Fang looked over at Ing and shook his head. The kid was very interesting, that much could be said. When Grayson closed the door behind him, the others started talking.
“Something doesn’t smell right,” Fang said.
“Other than all the grease on our hands?” Riu looked over her shoulder.
Fang glared at her, “I mean that there is something in the air. The kind of scent that warns of a coming battle.”
“Oh,” Riu looked away, “Sounds like B.S. to me.”
Fang rolled his eyes. Ing raised his hand, “I think Fang is telling the truth!”
“Of course you would,” Riu stated.
“What do you think the enemy will do now?” Duke asked.
“There isn’t enough data to determine anything,” Kiri said.
Kaiba looked over his shoulder, “Can you determine what their next action will be? What the best probability is?”
“I cannot determine their next course of action without more data,” Kiri answered. “However, it is safe to assume that we have nothing to worry about.”
“Really?” Jekyll looked up at her, “How did you come to that conclusion?”
“As Kaiba asked I gave my best view on the situation,” Kiri said, “It isn’t conclusive but it is what I am able to determine with the little information that I have.”
“So basically all that means that you gave us your gut feeling,” Riu rolled her eyes.
There was the faint sound of screaming in the distance. At first only Fang could hear but slowly the screaming grew loud enough so that the others could hear it as well. People ran started running through the streets screaming about creatures attacking. Something with two pairs of insect wings rose above the building line. The creature glared at them and snarled in the form of various clicks. Another creature jumped onto a roof like a frog and joined its companion in a kind of battle cry. A third lizard type of creature came over the roof and started climbing down the side of the buildings wall.
Kaiba stood up and walked out of the garage. He looked up and down the street. Other creatures crawled out of the sewer man holes and started attacking anyone that was closest to them. When they looked toward the garage, they screamed and screeched at them before charging at them and attacking.
Kiri stood beside Kaiba, “Maybe my conclusion was based on faulty information…”
“I’d say,” Riu placed her hands on her hips. She shrugged, “At least this looks like it will be fun.”
Jekyll tugged on his hat, “It isn’t your fault. They may be a little more ambitions than we thought.”
“Thank you, Jekyll,” Kiri nodded toward him.
“This is going to so much fun!” Ing spun around like an airplane.
Fang placed a firm hand on Ing’s head to stop his spinning, “For once I agree with you.”
“What’s the plan going to be?” Duke asked.
“The same that it has always been,” Kaiba stated, “Fine the person responsible and take down any mutants along the way.”
“Sounds good to me,” Riu hit her fists together.
“Good,” Kaiba looked around, “Let’s get going then.”

No comments:

Post a Comment